Moving day!

Tuesday, December 3, 2013
I can't believe I have the energy to write this right now. Wow! While my memory is fresh, here goes nothing. I woke up at 7 a.m. this morning, as did Ava bug and Justin. We didn't start the day off with breakfast or chit chat, we just got right to business. Justin took apart our bed, and we finished organizing and packing several things before the movers got here. We ended up getting breakfast, and picking up the u-haul at like 930 a.m. and immediately came home afterward. I finished our final loads of laundry, tended to bug, and started taping and writing on our things. I guess that took about three hours or so because at around 1230 p.m. the movers came. The next two hours were kind of a blur. I got visitors from my good friend, Victoria, and my new parent support program rep, Christa.

We got a 26 foot truck.. which we originally thought was going to be too big. It was perfect! Next time around we could go a little smaller though. The movers were able to pack Justin's motorcycle safely, and I think that was his biggest worry. Oh, for anyone moving locally, or even a PCS I strongly suggest finding a local business company to assist with your move. For over two hours, with four workers, we paid $150.00. In the grand scheme of things we saved over 100.00. I was thoroughly pleased with their work. I think that's one thing I'll be missing about Georgia, that Southern hospitality.

At around 2:30 p.m. the movers left, and we were surrounded by bare walls, and an empty home. I was able to nurse Ava without all the chaos of moving, and Justin and I were able to have a real conversation. We were able to get lunch in, and run a couple errands before it was time to get the dolly for our car. I think Justin and I have been more nervous about driving the u-haul with a dolly, more than anything else pertaining to this move. The truck is huge, and with the car on the dolly, it's just so long. Since this is our first DITY move, I think we did overall pretty well. There are a few things I would change the next time though.

Things I loved that we did
  • waited until the finance funds hit to arrange dates for moving
  • packing before we even knew which day we were moving
  • finding a home in the area where the next duty station is located
Things I hate that we did
  • procrastinated organizing and taping all the boxes we had
  • not doing laundry prior to moving day
  • not allowing enough time to say goodbye to all my friends I made in Georgia

Since we pretty much can't drive anywhere with our car being hooked up to the dolly, we ended our night with dinner at my neighbor/friend's home. I was finally able to have a salmon night with her, and given the rushed, tiring, fast paced day, dinner turned out okay. I've got to say Ava was a trooper all the way up until the end of the night. It was past her bedtime when we had dinner, and she was ready to nurse and KO. We were able to say goodbye to a few more of our friends here in Georgia this evening, and that was nice. I know I didn't get to see everywhere, and I feel terrible about that. 

As soon as we got home, we got Ava ready for bed. Tonight, she pooped in her bath! It was legit, hard poo. It was so gross! I was in a rush to get her rinsed off and out of the tub. I didn't double check to make sure Justin adjusted the water (I already assumed that he did) so I went to stick Ava's foot underneath it, and the water was hot. I felt SO SO SO bad. She fussed a bit, but no major tears. I immediately stuck her little foot under cold water after that. On top of an already stressful, and tiring day, I did that. I beat myself up over it, and consoled bug until she fell asleep.

So that was our day. Justin knocked out as soon as he got a free moment. I had to wake him up, just so he could wash the filth off from today. I'm really proud of how well I've stayed up on my school work, and my home life. I never thought I'd be able to balance so much at one time, but I have! Oh wow, it's almost midnight and I am still awake! I'm going to be writing a little something each day about our experience with our first DITY move, and our second road trip with Ava! Happy Wednesday all! 

   ♥- Leilani

Post a Comment